PyroCarbon PIP Total Joint
Choosing the PIP Pyrocarbon implant option to limit uncertainty during your PIP replacement cases for young and demanding patients.
Features & benefits
- PyroCarbon material with bone friendly, elasticity and durability properties.
- Two cut design for proximal component to preserve collateral ligaments.
- Dorsal notch in distal component to re-insert extensor tendon and preserve natural anatomy.
- Flexible sizing optionsColor coded instrumentation.
Properties of Pyrocarbon material:
Cardiac Valve 1
- 40+ years use cardiac valve
- 3+ million valves
- 20+ million patient years
MCP Joint 2-3
- 30+ years clinical experience.
- No detectable wear.
- Low friction bearing.
- Cement free fixation.
Pyrocarbon is Durable 4
The elastic modulus of PyroCarbon is similar to cortical bone resulting in biomechanical compatibility with bone. Unlike surgical grade metals, PyroCarbon transfers load from implant to bone more effectively, thus reducing stress shielding and potential bone resorption.5
Elastic Modulus (GPa)6
Elastic modulus of metal and ceramic are much greater than that of bone or PyroCarbon.
1. Buddy D. Ratner, Allan S. Hoffman, Frederick J. Schoen, Jack E. Lemons, Biomaterials Science: An Introduction to Materials in Medicine, Edition 3, Academic Press – Éditor 31 décembre 2012.
2. Cook SD, Beckenbaugh RD, Redondo J, Popich LS, Klawitter JJ, Linscheid RL, “Long term follow-up of pyrolytic carbon metacarpophalangeal implants,” J Bone and Joint Surg, Vol. 81-A, No. 5, 635-648, 1999.
3. Wall LB1, Stern PJ. Clinical and radiographic outcomes of metacarpophalangeal joint pyrolytic carbon arthroplasty for osteoarthritis. J Hand Surg Am. 2013 Mar;38(3):537-43. doi: 10.1016/j.jhsa.2012.11.026. Epub 2013 Jan 20.
4. Test Report: TR-0008-01-A PyroCarbon Wear. Ascension Orthopedics, 1999.
5. Stanley J, Klawitter JJ, More R, “Replacing joints with pyrolytic carbon. In Joint replacement technology” Ed. Peter A Revell. Woodhead Publishing, 2008, 651.
6. Ratner B, Hoffman A, Schoen F, Lemons J, “Biomaterials science : an introduction to materials in medecine 2nd edition”, ElsevierAcademic Press, 2004.
The Ascension Silicone PIP Finger Joint Prosthesis is intended for cementless replacement of the proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joint where disabled by rheumatoid, degenerative, or traumatic arthritis.
- Active local or systemic infection;
- Destruction of the metacarpal, phalanx, or phalanges or poor bone quality which prevents adequate fixation of the implant;
- Loss of musculature, neuromuscular compromise, or vascular deficiency in the affected finger;
- Growing patients with open epiphyses
- Patients with high activity levels; and
- Patients unwilling or unable to comply with physician’s instructions.
Regulatory and Legal Information
Class I and IIa and IIb devices.
Ascension Orthopedics, inc.
8700 Cameron road Suite 100
Austin, Texas 78754 • USA
Ascension Orthopedics Ltd.
Biopark, Broadwater Road
Walwyn Garden City
Herts, AL7 3AX • United Kingdom
Availability of these products might vary from a given country or region to another, as a result of speciﬁc local regulatory approval or clearance requirements for sale in such country or region.
• Consult product labels and inserts for any indications, contraindications, hazards, warnings, precautions and instructions for use.
• Non contractual document. Integra reserves the right, without prior notice, to modify the products in order to improve their quality.
• Warning: Applicable laws restrict these products to sale by or on the order of a physician.
Please contact Integra customer service should you need any additional information on devices classiﬁcation. All the medical devices mentioned on this document are CE marked according to European council directive 93/42/ EEC on medical devices and its relatives, unless speciﬁcally identiﬁed as “NOT CE MARKED”.
Integra and the Integra logo are registered trademarks of Integra LifeSciences Corporation or its subsidiaries in the USA and/or other countries. ©2016 Integra LifeSciences Corporation. All rights reserved.
Last modifcation date: 05/2016. 0491144-1-EN
Document for use in Europe, Middle-East & Africa only.
For complete product information, please see the Instructions for Use accompanying each product.