NuGrip ™ CMC Implant
Choosing the hemi arthroplasty Pyrocarbon implant helps you to limit uncertainty during your CMC replacement cases for young and demanding patients.
Features & benefits
- PyroCarbon material with bone friendly, elasticity and durability properties.
- Minimal bone resection which helps to preserve the trapezium.
- Anatomical stem to press fit within the intramedullary canal without cement.
- The stem and collar enhance stability and minimize the possibility of movement or toggling of the stem within the canal.
- The spherical head provides the maximum opportunity for range of motion.
- The instrumentation is streamlined and color coded for simplified use.
There are nine sizing options:
Properties of this material:
- 40+ years use cardiac valve
- 3+ million valves
- 20+ million patient years
The elastic modulus of PyroCarbon is similar to cortical bone resulting in biomechanical compatibility with bone. Unlike surgical grade metals, PyroCarbon transfers load from implant to bone more effectively, thus reducing stress shielding and potential bone resorption.²
Elastic Modulus (GPa)³
Elastic modulus of metal and ceramic are much greater than that of bone or PyroCarbon.
Natural joints have been shown to lubricate through the adsorption of surfactants surface-active phospholipids (SAPL) to cartilage which provides boundary layer lubrication and a reduction in friction. PyroCarbon surfaces o er the potential for boundary layer lubrication and a low coe cient of friction through the same mechanism.4
In laboratory tests, PyroCarbon performed superior to other prosthetic materials in its ability to attract SAPL.4 This may contribute to favorable wear characteristics in hemiarthroplasty applications.
1. Haubold AD, On the durability of pyrolytic carbon in vivo, Medical Progress through Technology 20:201-208, 1994
2. Stanley J, Klawitter JJ, More R, “Replacing joints with pyrolytic carbon. In Joint replacement technology” Ed. Peter A Revell. Woodhead Publishing, 2008, 651
3. Ratner B, Ho man A, Schoen F, Lemons J, “Biomaterials science : an introduction to materials in medecine 2nd edition”, ElsevierAcademic Press, 2004
4. Gale L, “Biotribological Assessment for Arti cial Synovial Joints: The Role of Boundary Lubrication.” PhD by Publication, Queensland University of Technology, 2007
The Ascension Nugrip is intended to replace the proximal end of the first metacarpal in cases of rheumatoid arthritis, traumatic arthritis,osteoarthritis or post fracture deformation or bone loss which present as either a painful, unstable thumb, or a thumb with limited range of motion.
- Inadequate bone stock or soft tissue coverage
- Previous open fracture or infection in the joint
- Skeletal immaturity
- Physical interference with or by other prostheses during implantation or use
- Procedures requiring modification of the prosthesis
- Skin, bone, circulatory and/or neurological deficiency at the implantation site
Regulatory and Legal Information
Class I and IIa and IIb devices.
Ascension Orthopedics, inc.
8700 Cameron road Suite 100
Austin, Texas 78754 • USA
Ascension Orthopedics Ltd.
Biopark, Broadwater Road
Walwyn Garden City
Herts, AL7 3AX • United Kingdom
Availability of these products might vary from a given country or region to another, as a result of speciﬁc local regulatory approval or clearance requirements for sale in such country or region.
• Consult product labels and inserts for any indications, contraindications, hazards, warnings, precautions and instructions for use.
• Non contractual document. Integra reserves the right, without prior notice, to modify the products in order to improve their quality.
• Warning: Applicable laws restrict these products to sale by or on the order of a physician.
Please contact Integra customer service should you need any additional information on devices classiﬁcation. All the medical devices mentioned on this document are CE marked according to European council directive 93/42/ EEC on medical devices and its relatives, unless speciﬁcally identiﬁed as “NOT CE MARKED”.
NuGrip is a trademark of Integra LifeSciences Corporation or its subsidiaries in the USA and/or other countries. ©2016 Integra LifeSciences Corporation. All rights reserved.
Last modifcation date: 05/2016. 0491145-1-EN
Document for use in Europe, Middle-East & Africa only.
For complete product information, please see the Instructions for Use accompanying each product.